You are pregnant, and you’ve never felt more beautiful or feminine in your life. Your body is doing amazing things, and you can feel the strength and power of womanhood.
Your friend suggests celebrating the beginnings of motherhood — with a boudoir maternity photoshoot.
Wait… aren’t boudoir photos meant to look more “Victoria’s Secret model” and less “obviously preggo woman”?
Not even a little bit. Boudoir photography is for every woman at every stage of life.
Follow along as we share our favorite boudoir maternity photography ideas, what to wear, when to book your session, and so much more.
Table of Contents
- How Does Boudoir Maternity Photography Differ From Typical Boudoir?
- 4 Maternity Boudoir Ideas and Tips for Feeling Confident
- Boudoir Maternity Photography Ideas for Poses
- Boudoir Maternity Photography Ideas for Themes
- Boudoir Maternity Photography FAQs
- Need More Boudoir Maternity Photography Ideas? Let Your Journey to Motherhood Shine With the Help of Evgenia Ribinik Studios
How Does Boudoir Maternity Photography Differ From Typical Boudoir?
Maternity boudoir is more than just a sexy photoshoot. Typical boudoir photography is meant to make you feel confident and empowered in your body, whereas maternity boudoir is designed to celebrate the changes your body is going through.
Have you noticed people — even complete strangers — tell you you’re glowing or comment on how beautiful your belly is? That’s because pregnancy is a unique and magical time for a woman. It doesn’t go unrecognized.
However, some pregnant women are less secure about the changes to their bodies. Maternity boudoir allows those mothers to see how stunning and powerful they are through a different lens. The photos are meant to capture the naturally sensual lines of pregnancy in a way that might be difficult for some women to see on their own.
Maternity boudoir gives you an opportunity to document your body and emotions during pregnancy and a way to remember this very special time for you and your partner.
4 Maternity Boudoir Ideas and Tips for Feeling Confident
First things first, you want to walk into your maternity boudoir photoshoot feeling like Aphrodite, the Greek Goddess of Fertility. We have a few suggestions to make sure you get the most out of your photoshoot.
Evgenia Ribinik Studios in NYC specializes in maternity boudoir. Our studio has been specially designed to provide a natural backdrop so that you stand out in every photo.
With her years of experience photographing pregnant mothers, Evgenia knows exactly how to bring out your best side in every photo.
#1: Use Studio or Natural Light
We love using soft lighting, such as studio lights or natural light, that helps to brighten and highlight the curves. Backlighting also gives a dramatic silhouette that puts all the emphasis on the shape of the belly.
For us, the most important thing is showcasing the natural grace and elegance that is a woman’s body during pregnancy. You should be the center of attention in every photo, and the right lighting will help bring out the natural glow that can be seen in most pregnant women.
#2: Highlight Curves and Shapes
Every photo should be belly-centric! From the hips to the belly to the breasts, these are the parts of a woman’s body that change the most and are the reason those body parts are associated with femininity.
You can take photos standing up, lying down, sitting cross-legged, walking along a beach, and really anything that captures your belly in all its glory. A pregnant woman’s body is a sacred vessel and should be celebrated!
#3: Utilize Appropriate Props
If you choose to utilize props for your maternity boudoir, make sure they’re baby-themed, such as:
- Baby attire
- Baby blocks or rattles
- A bassinet
- A crib mobile
- Your sonogram picture
- A teddy bear
- A personalized baby book
However, the most important prop is your growing belly, so it’s okay to opt against props and keep it simple.
#4: Embrace Black and White Photography for Your Maternity Boudoir Shoot
Black and white photography makes a statement. The bold contrast is impactful, powerful, and more focused than color photos.
Utilizing black and white photography will also help put the focus on the subject (your pregnant body!) and capture the textures and raw emotions felt in every pose. It’s timeless and classic — you can’t go wrong.
Boudoir Maternity Photography Ideas for Poses
With the right photographer, posing for your maternity boudoir is easy. It’s all about feeling natural, comfortable, and beautiful in your skin. Here are some maternity boudoir pose ideas:
- Cradling your belly: This is a classic and simple pose that showcases your baby bump. Place your hands gently around your belly, and look down at it with a smile.
- Kneeling: Kneel on a bed or a rug, with your belly facing the camera. This pose can create a beautiful and dramatic look.
- Lying down: Lie on your back on a bed or a couch, with your belly facing up. Place your hands gently around your belly, and look down at it with a smile.
- Side pose: Stand or sit sideways, with one hand on your hip and the other gently resting on your belly. This pose can create a flattering and feminine look.
- Partner poses: If your partner will be joining you for the photo shoot, consider posing together. Your partner can hold you from behind, kiss your belly, or place their hand on your belly.
- Reflection: Stand in front of a full-length mirror, with one hand on your belly and the other holding a mirror. This pose can create a unique and artistic look.
- Standing: Stand facing the camera, with one hand on your hip and the other gently resting on your belly. This pose can create a confident and empowering look.
We’ll work with you to create a boudoir maternity photo shoot that brings out the best in you with every shot.
Boudoir Maternity Photography Ideas for Themes
You may already have ideas for your photo shoot, but if not, here are some boudoir maternity photography ideas for themes:
- Natural Beauty: Show off your pregnancy glow in a natural setting, such as a forest or meadow.
- Vintage: Use vintage props and clothing, such as lace dresses, pearls, and antique furniture to create a vintage-inspired boudoir maternity session.
- Floral: Incorporate floral elements, such as flower crowns, into your boudoir maternity session to create a soft and feminine look.
- Beach: Take your boudoir maternity session to the beach for a beautiful and serene setting.
- Indoor: Choose a cozy and intimate indoor setting, such as your bedroom or living room, to create a warm and intimate boudoir maternity session. Our studio is perfect for this!
- Bohemian: Incorporate bohemian elements, such as flowing fabrics, natural elements, and tribal prints, into your boudoir maternity session for a free-spirited and relaxed look.
Remember that the most important thing is to choose a theme that makes you feel comfortable and beautiful. I believe in creating tasteful, empowering maternity boudoir photos that you will be proud to look back on for years to come.
Boudoir Maternity Photography FAQs
What Do You Wear to a Maternity Boudoir?
Choosing what to wear for a maternity boudoir photoshoot can be both exciting and challenging. Here are some tips for selecting the right outfit:
- Comfort is key: Choose clothing that is comfortable and that you feel confident wearing. You want to feel relaxed and at ease during your photoshoot. No need to worry about shoes!
- Highlight your bump: Opt for clothing that showcases your baby bump, such as form-fitting dresses, bodysuits, or tops.
- Choose flattering materials: Look for materials that are soft and flowy, such as silk or chiffon, to create a romantic and feminine look.
- Accessorize: Consider adding accessories, such as a belly chain, to your outfit to create visual interest and add a touch of glamor.
- Consider lingerie: Lingerie can be a beautiful and intimate choice for a boudoir maternity photoshoot. Look for pieces that flatter your body and make you feel confident and sexy.
- Layers: Consider layering clothing items, such as a sheer robe or a cozy sweater, to add texture and visual interest to your outfit.
Choose an outfit that makes you feel comfortable and beautiful. You may also opt to utilize our lingerie and clothing closet. I have options for every size, style, and woman, and every item is carefully drycleaned between photoshoots.
For more information, contact me at my studio in NYC.
When Should I Book a Boudoir Maternity Photoshoot During My Pregnancy?
Maternity photos are typically done between 30-36 weeks into pregnancy, or 26-28 weeks in the case of twins.
However, depending on your personal preferences, you may want to consider these guidelines before you schedule your photoshoot:
- Timing: Boudoir maternity photoshoots are typically scheduled during the third trimester when your baby bump is at its most prominent.
- Comfort: Consider scheduling your photoshoot during a time when you feel comfortable. Some women prefer to have their photos taken earlier in their pregnancy when they feel less bloated, while others prefer to wait until later in their pregnancy when their baby bump is more prominent.
- Availability: Book your boudoir maternity photo shoot well in advance to ensure that you can secure a time slot that works with your schedule and your photographer’s availability.
- Weather: If you’re planning an outdoor photoshoot, consider scheduling it during a time of year when the weather is favorable and comfortable for you.
Ultimately, the best time to book a boudoir maternity photoshoot is when you feel ready and excited to capture this special moment in your life. Contact Evgenia Ribinik to discuss your options and schedule a session that works best for you.
How Should I Showcase or Share My Boudoir Maternity Photos?
Now that you’ve decided to book your maternity boudoir photoshoot, you want to know what to do with your pictures when you’re done. Here are some ideas on how you can showcase and share your photos:
- Print and display: You can print your favorite boudoir maternity photos and display them in your home as a beautiful reminder of this special time. You can frame them, create a photo album or a scrapbook, or even create a canvas print to hang on your wall.
- Share on social media: You can share your photos on your social media accounts, such as Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. You can also create a separate account for your boudoir maternity photos if you prefer to keep them private.
- Gift to your partner: Boudoir maternity photos can make a wonderful and intimate gift for your partner. You can create a photo album or a framed print as a surprise for them.
- Keep as a personal keepsake: Your boudoir maternity photos can also be a personal keepsake that you can cherish for years to come. You can store them in a safe place, in a photo box, or in an album and look back on them whenever you want to reminisce about your pregnancy or show them to your kids as they get older.
- Share with close friends and family: You can also share your photos with close friends and family who will appreciate and support you during this special time.
Boudoir maternity photos are personal and intimate, so you only have to share them only with those you trust and feel comfortable with. Make sure to let your photographer know if you don’t want your photos used for publicity.
Need More Boudoir Maternity Photography Ideas? Let Your Journey to Motherhood Shine With the Help of Evgenia Ribinik Studios
When capturing this very special and very fleeting time in your life, hiring a professional like Evgenia Ribinik will ensure that your pictures turn out just the way you want them. Maternity boudoir photos, much like wedding photos, generally don’t get a do-over, so you want it done right the first time.
I work from my studio in NYC or can come to your location if you prefer to do your maternity boudoir at home or another location.
My goal is to capture the natural beauty of your pregnancy with a selection of tasteful photos that showcase the power of your body.For more information, contact Evgenia Ribinik today.