Congratulations on booking your first boudoir session! You’re about to have a truly empowering experience like never before.
As excited as you are, you may also be feeling a little anxious. You may even be unsure of how to prepare for a boudoir photo shoot. This is entirely understandable as this experience requires you to step outside of your comfort zone and embrace your vulnerability.
I’m here to assure you that you’ve nothing to worry about. With a bit of preparation, you’ll be ready to take on your boudoir shoot with confidence. Here are my top tips on how to prepare for a boudoir session.
Table of Contents
- How Do You Mentally Prepare Yourself For A Boudoir Session?
- How Do You Prepare Your Body For A Boudoir Session?
- Four Must-Haves To Pack In Your Bag For Your Boudoir Shoot
- I’ll Be There To Guide You Through Every Step Of The Boudoir Process
How Do You Mentally Prepare Yourself For A Boudoir Session?
Boudoir is an intimate experience, and it’s important to be in the right mindset before your shoot. Here are 5 things you can do to get yourself mentally prepared for boudoir:
- Set your intention: What do you want to achieve with your boudoir photos?
- Avoid negative self-talk. Instead, focus on all of the positive qualities you have!
- Talk to your boudoir photographer about what to expect from the experience.
- Look for boudoir inspiration online to find some favorite poses and outfits. When you work with me, I’ll send you my Getting Ready Guide for outfit ideas as well as a link to my Pinterest board for inspiration.
- Prepare to approach your session with an open mindset.
Remember: You’re investing in this experience and want to have the right photographer, the one who will guide you through the entire process and help you feel comfortable. Still, it’s important that you go into your shoot with an open mind. Be prepared to try new things and trust the process.
The best boudoir sessions happen when you surrender yourself to this beautiful experience and allow yourself to be vulnerable. Remember that a boudoir studio is a safe space where you won’t be made to do anything that makes you uncomfortable.
How Do You Prepare Your Body For A Boudoir Session?
The Week Before
- Get a pedicure to soften and pamper those beautiful feet.
- Drink plenty of water and moisturize daily from head to toe.
- Get a fresh hair touch-up if you get it colored or highlighted.
- Buy 2-3 pieces of lingerie that make you feel like a goddess.
- If you wax, schedule a waxing appointment a few days before your shoot.
- Practice some stretching to prepare your body for some beautiful poses.
Before buying any lingerie, see if your photographer has a stocked lingerie closet. I currently have a variety of high-end pieces in my studio in a wide range of sizes, so you don’t have to worry about bringing anything other than your gorgeous self. Every piece is professionally cleaned between shoots.
I strongly discourage starting any diet or new exercise regimes leading up to your session. Boudoir is about pampering and celebrating your body as it is today. Every unique curve and contour is what makes you, YOU.
The Day Before
- Get a good night’s sleep! You want to look and feel well-rested for your shoot.
- Avoid caffeine or alcohol, as they can dehydrate your skin.
- Exfoliate and moisturize – leaving shaving for the day of.
- Get a fresh manicure.
- Pack your boudoir bag.
The day before your shoot is exciting! You’re one step closer to celebrating your beautiful self, so spend the night doing a little self-care to prepare your body and mind for your session. Light some candles and relax or psych yourself up with some music to put yourself in the right mindset for the big day.
How to Prepare on the Day of Your Boudoir Shoot
- Come to the studio with a clean and moisturized face – ready for pampering!
- Eat a light meal, so you’re nourished for the session but not bloated.
- Wear loose clothing to avoid any indents or marks from your undergarments.
- Moisturize your body from head to toe.
- Exfoliate and shave any areas that you would like to have smooth for your shoot.
Don’t forget to grab your boudoir bag on your way out. You’ll also want to discuss your shoot with your photographer ahead of time to see if they have any additional prep requirements or recommendations.
Four Must-Haves To Pack In Your Bag For Your Boudoir Shoot
- 2-3 pieces of lingerie that make you feel confident.
- Snacks and water will keep you fueled and hydrated throughout your shoot.
- Moisturizer in case your skin feels dry.
- Accessories such as stockings, heels, or jewelry to change up your looks.
I’ll Be There To Guide You Through Every Step Of The Boudoir Process
From planning to posing, I plan to be there every step of the way to make sure your boudoir experience is nothing short of amazing in my studio.
If you haven’t already booked an appointment, contact me today!